To brew a proper cuppa it takes a bit longer than your average tea bag, however the results are so much more fulfilling. When brewing my favorite morning tea- chai, it can be steeped anywhere from 5 minutes to 30 minutes and because it is a black tea the water should be completely boiled (about 212 degrees.)
What this means is an average of 10 to 15 minutes of your morning is spent making this warm, spicy elixir. Somewhat of a luxury for a girl on the go! And you know what they say; a watched kettle never boils:)
Always looking for a way to multitask, I’ve been doing a mini yoga routine while preparing chai tea.
- Start in Tadasana– take a few deep cleansing breaths
- Inhale arms up over head and exhale down by your side (do several to warm the body)
- With feet hip width apart- move into gentle side stretches– move slowly from left to right. Remember to breath, inhale left arm up and exhale stretch to the right side, while right arm travels down side of the body. *Repeat on other side (again, do several to warm the body up)
- Mini sun salutations– Repeat step “2,” only this time include a forward fold. Let the head drop below the heart, grab opposite elbows, sway and move hips while you gloriously drink in the lower back stretch you will receive. (Repeat a few rounds)
- If you are feeling warmed up, delight the upper body with a fulfilling shoulder stretch. This can be gomukasana arms, eagle arms or interlace hands behind the back and lower the body forward, stretching the arms up overhead. Rolling the shoulders back to receive the shoulder stretch.
Be sure to set a timer so you don’t become too absorbed in the relaxation of yoga and forget about your tea:)
- For Black Tea– boil water (205- 212 degrees)
- Pour a bit of water over the leaves to “wake” them up- swirl and pour out the water.
- With leaves “awake” fill tea pot with boiling water
- Set timer (black chai- 5-10 minutes or more if so desired – I’ve been loving Elmwood Inn’s Indian Chai)
- Pour in a cup – add a touch of honey and your favorite milk product ( I love almond milk with mine!)
- Drink in the joy of starting your day off right!